Sunday, February 22, 2009

Book Club for February

The book club selection for last month was "The Babysitter" by Diana Diamond. Here's a review of what the book was about from Amazon.com





From Publishers Weekly
Some people can't help serving as mirrors of other people's failings and fears, and babysitter Theresa Santiago plays just that role vis-…-vis her WASPy employers in this tautly paced thriller. Although the title suggests the story is about Santiago, Diamond (The Trophy Wife) actually paints a vivid family portrait of political superstar Gordon Acton, his pedigreed wife and the couple's two bright and photogenic children. Acton is campaigning for a Massachusetts congressional seat, and it looks like he'll win. With his political profile in mind, he asks his wife, Ellie, to hire a Hispanic mother's helper. Ellie does so, but reluctantly, believing that the young woman will be ostracized by the mostly white population of Cape Cod where the family plans to spend the summer. Ellie hires the babysitter despite her misgivings, and Theresa turns out to be the perfect helper aiding Ellie with her doctoral thesis and winning over the children and even many of the snobbish and racist members of the Actons' club. Yet from the start it's clear that Theresa isn't exactly what she says she is. It's hard to know what is fact and what is fiction, especially when the Actons begin to suspect that their babysitter may be blackmailing them. Diamond has built her thriller around issues of race and class, and she asks: If the rich use the poor, is it so bad when the opposite happens? The political point-making is a bit heavy-handed at times, but that's a minor complaint when weighed against Diamond's thoughtful exposition and careful plotting. (July)and thriller writer."

Copyright 2001 Cahners Business Information, Inc.


We had 7 people at book club today (one missing) and 2 people didn't finish the book. They had a hard time getting copies because it is out of print. Of the remaining 5, everyone liked the book and thought it was a great, quick, read.

We sat in a little room that looked like it was maybe a garage at some time. (All the houses where I live are very unique-no tract homes for us!) The room was painted like an outdoor cafe. The bottoms of the walls were a stone like wall paper I believe (I think I saw some seams) and the top was painted a nice light blue. The wall I was facing had several framed paintings on it. The wall to the side (actually the door to the outside wall) had big stone pillars painted on it, a shelf over the door with something on it but I can't remember what). I can't remember what the wall behind me had, the wall to the other side of me had a counter and it was all painted so cute like an outdoor market type scene. The ceiling had fabric draped like an outdoor awning (I did think to myself that would be a pain to keep clean!) The floor had big tiles and every other one had small stones on them. It looked like the actual tiles were made like that but I'm not sure how it was done. We all sat at tables with plastic chairs which added to the "outdoor" feel.

The hostess served green apples sliced with toothpicks in them and Swiss cheese. Red, White Zin wine, Raspberry Italian soda and water to drink. After we talked a bit she brought out some yummy little egg roll looking things that had cream cheese and raspberry OR cream cheese and Caramel in them (and coffee). Oh they were so good! I am going to go check out the Grocery Outlet where she said she bought them from and see if I can find some (and I hate that store so that's saying something lol)

I have a hard back copy available of the book. The dust jacket has a little wear and a small rip. If you would like it, just leave me a comment. If I have more than one person I will draw a "winner" on Friday morning.

Our next book is (my mom's pick)




I've seen the movie, but Mom says the book is nothing like the movie. I'm hoping she is right because I didn't like the movie!

Pin It

8 comments:

Nick James said...

I am obsessed with your book club idea and wouldn't mind hosting my own as well! I will be buying a new book this week and begin the journey! Take care!!

gloria b said...

I'm a book addict and am always in search for an intersting read. Thank you for your offer and if I should win I'd be ever so grateful!!

Mary said...

The babysitter sounds like a good one! I'm studying Literature and Writing right now and we read a lot of novels on the topics of race and class. Among other things. I graduate in 12 weeks (not that i'm counting down) and I want to have a fun reading selection for when I'm done and get to choose my own texts. Of course, I'm still attracted to the same sorts of things we've been studying. Funny how that is!

Barb said...

sounds like an interesting read. I finally got around to getting "Twilight" which I'm hoping to start tonight before bed.

JennieL said...

I love reading and always welcome new author suggestions and titles. I need to try and find a book club in my area! Thanks!

Hccm said...

Today is a very big day in the Where’s Wenda? Contest. I am visiting all of the SITS followers. Can I do it? There are around 1000 followers. Oh my! Better grab my cup of coffee and get on my way. Be sure to visit Hot Chocolate Caramel Mocha and Three Bay B Chicks as part of your contest entry. -Wenda

MsTypo said...

I'm not here for the contest (too far to have to mail any winnings LOL) but you reminded me taht i have to start my book club book! LOL I love book clubs because you always read things you mightn't otherwise have picked. :)

honkeie said...

I might miss that book but I am now intertesed in the other one. I did not like the movie either but it did have an interesting story line. I will now have to go out and find it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...